Monday, May 25, 2009

Mike's visit

A little over two weeks ago now, Mike came the whole way from Ohio to visit me in Sydney. It was great to see him and we had a lot of fun during the 10 days he was here.

When he arrived in Sydney, I went to the airport to meet him. However, I went to the wrong terminal! After about a half hour of anxious waiting, Mike came and found me. I was very excited to finally see him! The first day I showed him around the University of Sydney campus and Newtown, the suburb where I live.

Friday, we went downtown and saw the highlights of Sydney. We went to Circular Quay to see the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge then over to the Botanical Gardens. We also went to the Rocks, Hyde Park, and ended our day at Sydney Tower.

Saturday night we went to an Aussie rules football game at Olympic Stadium. It was cool to see such a unique Australian sport being played at the famous Olympic Stadium. Sunday we did a walk from Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach. It was a beautiful day and it was great to spend some time at the Ocean.

Monday, my weekend was over and sadly, I had to go back to class. Monday night Mike joined our trivia team then Tuesday night we went to the movies to see Angels and Demons. Wednesday night, Mike and I got dressed up and had a nice dinner in Circular Quay. Thursday we did some shopping at Paddy's market and then went to Darling Harbour for the night.

Friday, we took a nice day trip out to Featherdale Wildlife Reserve and the Blue Mountains. Featherdale was definitley a highlight. I had previously been there, but Mike got to fulfill his dream of petting koalas and kangaroos. We also saw dingos, little penguins, wallabies, wombats, emus, and many other animals.

After Featherdale, we took the train out to the Blue Mountains. Unfortunately, it started raining on our way there and continued raining the rest of the day. But we still had a great time! We went to scenic world, we were road a cable car across the mountains, a scenic railway down the mountain, and another cable car back up. We bought ponchos to keep us somewhat dry and hiked around in the woods for a while too. The other site we visited was the Leura Cascades. We got soaked, but we got to see some really amazing rapids and waterfalls!

Saturday was Mike's last full day in Sydney. We went to Paddy's again to pick up a few more things and walked around Sydney for the afternoon. Sunday morning we said our goodbyes and he headed back to Columbus.

Here is the link to some of the other pictures from his trip:

Some other updates since Mike left...Team Charity got first place in trivia! Sadly, it was the last one of the semester, but we went out in style. Also this week, Becky, Nate, and I went to see Luminous at the Opera House. They light up the Opera House different colors which change every few minutes. The event is part of Vivid Sydney, which lasts until June 21st.

Only one more month left in Australia! It's hard to believe I've been here for 3 and 1/2 months. It will be hard to go, but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment