Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mardi Gras


This Saturday was the annual Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade in downtown Sydney. It was unlike any parade I've ever been to before, and it was a great experience. There were so many different organizations involved. Everything from activist groups to churches to the zoo! Lots of people were dressed in costumes and there was lots of energy and dancing. I'm very glad I was able to attend such a fun event. Here is the link to some more pictures I took at the parade:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2060703&id=15508380&l=27722


One of the other events I attended recently was buddy club trivia night. The buddy club is an organization set up so international students can meet Australian students and other international students. At trivia night, I met students from France, Denmark, Austria, and Germany. It's great to be able to meet people from such a variety of places.

This week I also attended a Purim service at the synagogue with my friend Nate. Purim is a Jewish holiday that celebrates the story of Esther. It's a fun holiday, and some people even dress up in costumes. The rabbi read the story in Hebrew, but I was able to follow along with an English version. Every time the name Haman was read, people stomped and booed. It was quite interactive!

I have been lucky to have some great cultural and religious experiences during my time here, and I look forward to many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment