Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bridge Climb and Bondi Beach


I did it! I climbed over 1,300 stairs and made it to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. After getting equipped with special suits, hats, and headsets, our group started out across the bridge. Along the way, our guide shared its history and other noteworthy facts. It was built during the Great Depression which is why so many workers were willing to risk their lives working in such dangerous conditions. The massive design and steel that was used during the project resulted in tax payers shelling out hundreds of millions of dollars. Another interesting fact is that the bridge contains over 6 million rivets that were each individually put in place. That being said, the best part of the climb was definitely the spectacular views of the city and the Harbour. The view from the top of the bridge was unforgettable, and by far my favorite part of the experience.


Today Becky and I went with a group of students to Bondi Beach, one of Sydney's most famous beaches. It has been in the news a lot due to a recent shark attack, but no worries, I didn't go in the water! After spending a while at Bondi, our group started out on the Bondi to Coogee walk. It was a little longer than anticipated, but it was definitely worth it. Around each bend there was another beautiful bay or beach to discover. It took us about an hour and a half to get to Coogee, but it was a great way to spend the afternoon. We relaxed at Coogee Beach for a while, taking a well deserved break after our journey.

Also this week at the University, I was able to attend the activities fair. There I signed up for several different clubs and societies. I am very excited to get involved and meet more people. One of the groups I joined is the Sydney University Musical Society, which is Australia's oldest undergraduate choir. This semester, they are working on Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana", and I hope to be part of their concert in May. Another group I joined is the Evangelical Union. They are a Christian group on campus that holds large meetings and small group Bible studies. I also joined the Darcy Society, which is the period drama society. They watch period dramas such as Pride and Prejudice and Gone with the Wind and hold champagne lunches about once a month. Finally, I joined the Work and Organizational Studies society to network and learn more about Human Resources in Australia.

Tomorrow I am going with other students from my study abroad program on a cruise of the Harbour. It should be lots of fun. Unfortunately, on Monday classes start and I have to start doing some work. However, I am sure there will still be plenty to do and see even with classes! No worries!

2 comments:

  1. ahhh, beach! I'm jealous :] this reminded me of mine & rachels many long journeys on the beach. the last of which was an accident. haha.

    sounds like you're having so much fun, and being involved as always!

    love, kenz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you've joined a choir. I love Carmina Burana! It sounds like you're making the most of every opportunity!

    We miss you,
    Uncle Karl and Aunt Jayne

    ReplyDelete